by J. D. Heyes, Natural News:
Though it may be unfamiliar to many people, those who know about turmeric are well aware of its health benefits. In fact, they know that just one teaspoon per day of this “Queen of all spices,” which has been prevalent in natural medicine for some 4,000 years, will help keep inflammation, pain, toxins and even some cancers at bay.
Turmeric has long been known for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and detoxification properties, but recent studies have indicated that this spice can also be used to effectively treat Alzheimer’s disease.
Here are seven ways that just a spoonful of turmeric a day can prove to be your secret miracle spice:
1. Battling inflammation naturally: As you may know, chronic inflammation is believed to be at the root of many modern illnesses. Turmeric’s active ingredient, curcumin, has been found by researchers to be a very effective and potent anti-inflammatory, even exceeding the performance of drugs intended to fight inflammation.
2. Brain protection: Turmeric can protect against the development of cognitive disorders like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, two conditions often associated with Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, or BDNF, a type of growth hormone. Scientists have discovered that curcumin positively affects the BDNF levels in the brain, and may delay or even reverse a number of brain diseases or age-related degenerative conditions.
3. Risk reduced for several types of cancer: In reality, turmeric could very well be one of the most potent natural anti-cancer agents there is. Not only can it prevent the growth of cancer cells, but it also blocks the development and spread of cancer and, some believe, may even hold the cure for several cancers. You can read more about that here.
4. Improve your digestion: Daily consumption of turmeric can reduce gas and bloating, stimulate the gallbladder and prevent inflammation of the digestive tract. That said, turmeric should not be taken on a daily basis by people suffering from gallbladder disease, as the over-stimulating properties of turmeric can worsen that condition.
5. Heart health: Curcumin can reduce LDL – or bad cholesterol – which will then prevent blood clotting, while removing arterial plaque buildup.
6. Eases arthritis: Scientists admit that more research is needed in this particular use of turmeric, however, that said, many people have reported various levels of improvement in this condition when they consume a teaspoon of the queen of spices per day. The theory is that the curcumin in turmeric helps battle chronic inflammation and thereby reduces the pain associated therewith. Some even say that curcumin supplements work much better than over-the-counter or prescription medications aimed at reducing inflammation – and all without any side-effects.
Please follow SGT Report on Twitter & help share the message.