by Julie Fidler, Natural Society:
Don’t freak out, but “super lice” resistant to the pesticides commonly used to kill them are marching across the United States. They’re not going to kill you, they’re just really gross, they make you itch, and if you’re a parent, they could challenge your sanity.
So far, the super lice outbreak, which began last year, has spread across 25 states, and it exists because the chemical treatments used to get rid of the pests have been overused. The bugs can’t be killed using pyrethroids, the traditional method of treatment. 
A 2014 study by the University of California, Davis, showed that of the urinary samples taken from adults and children in 90 California families, 2/3 had breakdown products of pyrethroids. In 2009, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) found pyrethroids in more than 3,500 registered commercial products. 
According to Beyond Pesticides’ Chemical Watch card, pyrethroids are a synthetic version of a chrysanthemum extract, which are designed to be more toxic and take longer to break down. The chemicals used to be 100% effective against lice, but now they only work about 25% of the time.
Pyrethroids are not terribly safe, either, but I’ll get into that later.
Daniel McCrimons, a pediatrician in Sacramento, California, told Good magazine:
Please follow SGT Report on Twitter & help share the message.